Extreme Movie… Touching the Void.

Settle down or tape ‘Touching the Void’ on Channel 4 at 7.20 p.m. this Saturday, I won’t give too much away if you haven’t seen it; it is the real story of two mountaineers. Joe Simpson and Simon Yates, who conquered a peak in the Peruvian Andes, but Simon had to make a life changing decision…  You can view the trailer here. A great example of an extreme environment and human motive, stunning landscape and a good story. Look out for crevasses in glaciers and a crawl over moraine to Boney M. I highly recommend the book of the same title as well.

Joe Simpson also has a website with some great images of his travels, that you may be interested in looking at.

This entry was posted in Extreme Environments, Resources. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Lianne.H
    Posted November 24, 2006 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Hi,sounds good! What about seeing the penguin film Happy Feet after coursework? haha! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366548/

2. Posted November 24, 2006 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I much prefer ‘March of the Penguins’ 🙂 I thought it would be dull but it turned out very interesting. Perhaps will could post some ideas for other Extreme Environment movies.

Hope the coursework is going well.

3. Lianne.H
    Posted November 24, 2006 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Haven’t seen it, maybe Mrs Marston will let us watch it at Christmas? 🙂 Coursework is going fine thanks not sure how I’m going to put it together yet though.

4. Posted November 24, 2006 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

mmm, got lots to get through Christmas doesn’t happen at GCSE now. Perhaps it’s time for a Pilot Geography Film club, now there’s an idea, better than a wet dinner.

5. Lianne.H
    Posted November 24, 2006 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Always got to make time for Christmas! 🙂 Film club? What does that involve then?

6. Posted November 24, 2006 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Not my best time of year… I reckon we could have a little informal club to watch Pilot related videos that we can’t fit into lesson time!

7. Lianne.H
    Posted November 24, 2006 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Good idea! Starting with the talking penguins! 🙂

8. Posted November 24, 2006 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

I’ll see what I can do. 🙂

I’m going to write a whole blog post on the impact Percy Penguin has had!

9. Lianne.H
    Posted December 11, 2006 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Just to let people know theres a programme on tonight called ‘Shackleton & Scott’ on sky 3 at 7pm. It interviews the explorers relatives and modern day explorers! 🙂

10. Posted December 11, 2006 at 6:58 pm | Permalink