Pop-up Hurricane Cross Section- Style over substance?

After marking coursework for most of the day, I wanted to do something creative.

I find hurricanes difficult to explain, so decided on the pop-up route.

I haven’t uploaded it to R.G. yet, because I’m still deciding whether it has merit. I’d use it with my Katrina resources.

What do you think?

This entry was posted in Hurricane, Weather. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 25, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Like it in theory. Only go into this much detail with Year 10 / 11 and eve then they only need the basics. However, like the added depth. May try out with my Year 10’s who are looking at hurricanes at the moment.

Posted January 25, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I’m going to try it over the coming week or so, I have a template if needed.

3. Posted January 26, 2009 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Tony – would appreciate a template! Will feed back to you about the use an impact.

Posted January 26, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

One on its way…

5. Paul Smith
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Looks really good, a template would be great too…. my students loved the coastal pop up template- was that yours? If so great resource!

Posted January 27, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Yeap, that was mine 🙂 Drop me an email Paul and I’ll send you the template, if you can’t wait for the weekend.

7. Posted January 29, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

This is so good Tony! I’d like a copy of the template please (I’ve sent you an email as well). I actually used your impacts of Katrina lesson today with my year 11 class who needed something good after the weeks of prep for the DME they had on Monday. Went down really well, so the hurricane model definitely will!

Thank you!

Posted January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jo, I’ve sent you a copy of the template.

Let me know how it goes,

Best wishes

T

9. Victoria
    Posted February 1, 2009 at 10:59 am | Permalink

This looks great Tony! Always struggle with explaining hurricanes and coast and rivers ones have gone down really well before…

Posted February 1, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Glad you like it, let me know how it goes.

11. Anne Carney
    Posted February 2, 2009 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

This looks great. I only teach up to Y8 (Middle school), but would love to try this with top band KS3. The drainage basin one was a great hit with Y6 and I expect that was designed for slightly older kids.

Thanks once more for sharing so freely. Am a big fan and will be with Postman Pat overcoming depressions later on this week. The little victim in the hurricane reminded me that I will have to spend longer explaining flying badgers than the formation of cumulonimbus clouds!!! 🙂

Thanks again

Posted February 3, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the comment- the flying badger has just made me really belly laugh.

Let me know how it goes….

Best wishes

Tony

13. Ruth
    Posted February 4, 2009 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I do like it… very much…wish I’d had it in September, but there is always next year.
    Many children, even some very bright ones, have difficulty visualising in 3-D and a model like this does the trick.
    The drainage basin was great.

Made in card and placed on a map of the Caribbean it would be great for a display for parents’ evenings.

Well done!

Posted February 4, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ruth, lovely idea as well.

Best wishes

Tony

15. Victoria_H
    Posted February 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

This looks like a lot of fun, I think my year 7 students will understand the concept of a hurricane a lot better with a 3D image to look at, and it’ll brighten up their books too! Could I possibly have a template too? Thanks very much

Posted February 17, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks Victoria, you can find a copy of the template on Radical Geography- please see the link above.

17. Dominic Miller-Jones
    Posted October 1, 2016 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Tony, really impressed with this way to show hurricanes, could you possibly send me the template.

One Trackback