Urbanisation with Lego…

I currently have my Year Ten Friday afternoon for a double, which is challenging enough; but I’m also trying to reduce my teacher talk and encourage more independent learning. As a result I’m trying to incorporate more kinesthetic activities within my repertoire…

I wanted students to consider the changing pattern of urbanisation, and as a result begin to consider some of the contributing factors. It was also an opportunity to begin to develop students’ ability to describe patterns.

Each group was given a sheet with data about the ten largest cities in 1900, 1950 and 2012.

image

Using a base map each group had to locate the cities and then construct a graph using Lego. We used a scale of one square block to represent one million people. Students then used the support sheet to begin to describe the geographical distribution of the cities.

IMG_0536

This was then repeated for each of the given dates. The results were quite impressive, and visually I think it helped students describe the pattern in the shift of urbanisation.

IMG_0537

With reflection I think I should have encouraged students to make a prediction for a future date, one for next time…

IMG_0539

This entry was posted in Teaching Ideas, urbanisation, WJEC A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Bromley High School
    Posted February 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Really interesting idea. Always good to see inspiring ‘practical’ ideas for lessons. Might just try this out. Thank you.

Posted February 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you, let me know how you get on-

3. Rachel Atherton
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Have tried this idea before – it works really well. I managed to amass enough duplo bricks in two colours to show cities in more and less developed countries. Found it reinforced the patterns. Have also used duplo bricks to construct population pyramids with year 9 – can you tell I have a 6 year old Lego obsessed son!!

Posted February 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Good idea about the colour use, will try it next time

5. Stewart Parker
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

What a great idea! I will definitely be using this in the next few weeks with my students.
    Thanks!

Posted February 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks- let me know how it goes 🙂

7. Stewart Parker
    Posted February 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

do you have the data for the 1950 and 2012? I’m sure it is easy to find online.

Posted February 25, 2013 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I took Wikipedia as my source for urban populations.

9. Stewart Parker
    Posted February 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

thanks…

10. Bromley High Schoool
    Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

We used the urbanisation Lego today and made the girls comment on spatial and time differences.

2 Trackbacks