Introducing #geogshare

A rare blog post…

A New Year brings with it new challenges and opportunities. 2016 brings new specifications for GCSE and ‘A’ level first teaching, alongside the last year of the existing specifications. The creation of resources for these new specifications will result in thousands of teachers duplicating effort. Local and world events will inevitably take place, which will stimulate teachers into producing resources to help students understand them.

Following a Twitter discussion between a number of teachers we believe we can share our resources to reduce this duplication, Alan Parkinson has come up with a range of ways to contribute to a new initiative called #geogshare which mirrors similar projects run by other subject teacher communities.

There are (at least) three ways that you can get involved in #geogshare.

(1) Twitter / Blogs

Post a link to a resource, or a blogpost where a resource has been shared

Use the hashtag #geogshare when you post it, so that a search will bring it up, and they can also be storified from week to week, and shared here.

(2) Drag and drop a resource or two into the box on this page:

You’ll need the password, please email, or Twitter, DM myself or Alan.

This will send your resources automatically to the 3rd (and perhaps the preferred and most sustainable) option.

(3) A GEOGRAPHY DROPBOX has been set up at:

E-mail myself or Alan, or DM on Twitter to be added to this

This will give you access to the folder, and the ability to edit and add materials, as well as download copies for yourself.

You will find a series of folders, which you can place materials into to help organisation.

There is a link to a Google Doc, which can also be viewed here

https://goo.gl/N7n1UM where you can place details of the resources that you are adding, which will allow you to search for relevant resources as the Dropbox (hopefully) starts to fill up.

We would like to suggest that you post one resource a month, but feel free to post more frequently (perhaps once a week) if you feel able.

Perhaps you could add ‘contribute to #geogshare’ to your New Years resolutions.

We look forward to seeing what you come up with.

(Thanks Alan for sorting the mechanics.)

This entry was posted in #geogshare, AlanParkinson, Collaboration, Teacher resources and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Zarina Glenn
    Posted January 3, 2016 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hi Tony I would really like to be part of your geography sharing Dropbox. I frequently make resources and would love to able to share and collaborate with other geographers. I came across your discussion on Twitter but unfortunately because you don’t follow me I can’t DM you. I have lots of resources to contribute. kind regards Zarina

Posted January 3, 2016 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Please drop me your email via the contact form. Thanks.

3. Hannah Webster
    Posted January 4, 2016 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Hi – I would love to be part of this – great idea!

Posted January 4, 2016 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Please send me an email address through the contact form.

Posted January 4, 2016 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

I’ve emailed you Hannah.

6. Karen Southall
    Posted January 4, 2016 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

What a great idea. This will save lots of time and provide a good variety of resources. Could you add me to the Dropbox please

Posted January 5, 2016 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Please send me an email through the contact form, thanks T.

8. Sarah Eburn
    Posted January 10, 2016 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Tony, I tried to email you last week through the contact form. Did you get my email? I would love to join the group. It’s such a great idea! Thanks. Sarah

Posted January 10, 2016 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Not sure I did- can you try again? Thanks.

10. Sally Bow
    Posted January 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Dear Tony,

This looks like a fantastic set of ideas for making resourcing in Geography more efficient.

I am looking to collaborate as much as possible on resources for both GCSE and A-level Geography.

I would be very grateful if you could add me to option (2) and (3) of the above list.

Many thanks in advance!

Posted January 26, 2016 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Please drop me your email through the contact form.

12. Hannah Fraser
    Posted March 14, 2016 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Hi
    This looks like an excellent idea please could I have access

One Trackback

• By Share a Resource | Mrs Humanities on January 2, 2016 at 10:40 am

[…] Toni Cassidy and Alan Parkinson have had a similar idea and introduced #geogshare along with a dropbox. I highly recommend using […]