How can I encourage my interest in Geography?

How can I encourage my child’s interest in Geography? This is a question I’m frequently asked by parents at Year 7 parents’ evening. I’ve produced this PowerPoint (You can also download now)which I’m going to print off as an A4 doubled sided leaflet. I’m interested in feedback from students and educators, anything I could add?

This entry was posted in Just for Fun, Teacher resources. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 31, 2007 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I only found my interest for geography in year nine, along with my interest in science. Look where I am now!!! I do all of those on a daily basis! 🙂

Posted May 31, 2007 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Another nice piece of work Tony – except the Longman School Atlas is of course the best… 😉

3. Posted May 31, 2007 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Tony – this is great – would love to make use of this in our parents open evening in November – what a super resource! Once again thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Rob

4. Tom Biebrach
    Posted May 31, 2007 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

I like these ideas Tony. It gives a message to the wider public that geography is more than just maps and capital cities (though obviously this is still important). Do you mind if I embed it in my ‘parents’ page’ on my site?

5. Posted May 31, 2007 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Gents

Thank you, Tom and Rob, as always feel free to use, you don’t have to ask. I haven’t shared it more widely, because I thought it was a bit dull, but your praise makes me feel more confident about it.I’m trying to return your email Tom, but I’m currently updating my internet security.

Longman, is that the one with your name on Alan? 😉

So Stringy, what turned you on to Geography in Year 9?

6. Posted June 1, 2007 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Sounds a big job, net security.

In answer to your question I kind of don’t really know I just found all the climate business a bit interesting, after settlement in year 8 wasn’t my favourite topic. I took it for my options becausueI thought its an enjoyable subject for me and a good intellectual subject, because I want to be a doctor when I’m older. Also I began to appreciate the landscape when went on holiday, somehow I still manage to cram all this work in. I love visiting different countries and was dissapointed to see Berlin was not oversubscribed this year.

Yer, I’d enjoy a career in Geography, but I have other interests, and by taking it at GCSE you leave so many doors open. So basically, holidays, maps, photos and inspirational teachers, Mrs Berry and Mrs Marston for making the subject interesting for me.

Did that sound waffly? Set that to some guitar solo?

Tom 🙂

7. Posted June 1, 2007 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Took me 17 minutes to write that, good question.

Posted June 1, 2007 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I might have had a little input into the Longman Atlas…
    Some great ideas in there ! 😉

9. Posted June 1, 2007 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

No, that’s a great answer Stringy, lucky for you then that I didn’t teach you. 😉