How can I encourage my interest in Geography?

How can I encourage my child’s interest in Geography? This is a question I’m frequently asked by parents at Year 7 parents’ evening. I’ve produced this PowerPoint (You can also download now)which I’m going to print off as an A4 doubled sided leaflet. I’m interested in feedback from students and educators, anything I could add?

This entry was posted in Justforfun!. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 31, 2007 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Hi Tony,

God its late!

Just had a look and like what you have done. I would suggest there may well be scope for more internet use in what you suggest e.g. online games, student sites and indeed normal websites. Pupils and a young age enjoy this and there is plenty that is useful (as you well know) on the net.

Could also chuck in http://www.geogdocs.co.uk of course although I have no “agenda”..well i did not have one at the start of this comment.

Regards,

Adam

Posted May 31, 2007 at 9:36 am | Permalink

It was late Adam when you posted!

I completely agree Adam, and was going to put an internet tip, but didn’t want to make it too ‘computer’ and exclude some section of students who may not have home access to the internet.

In response to your thought, I think I’ll produce a best website sheet, including geogdocs of course!

Best Wishes

T

3. Posted June 20, 2007 at 7:38 am | Permalink

just smack the kids till they start enjoying it, not the smaking, the geography, i didnt mean intill they started enjoying the smaking, lets just clear that up….

No seriously though, i think if you make everything seem new and up to date, like, how you dont teach out of some old books like alot of teachers do, also the content that you teach has to be exciting in a way, also making the lessons active and enjoyable.

Posted June 20, 2007 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks an interesting student insight 🙂

5. Posted June 20, 2007 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

your welcome… infact the main reason for me posting this is so that i can see what time it says posted because my windows xp clock is wrong and i can be botherd to sort it our, but yes, geography can be verry intresting, but only if you foucus on interesting things, and appropriate things for age groops.

Posted June 21, 2007 at 9:07 pm | Permalink