More people leaving…

The B.B.C. reports that a record number of  British people have left the United Kingdom since 1991, most popular destination being that of Australia, I wonder why? The report also shows that a large proportion of long-term migrants are also returning home.

This entry was posted in Cultural Geography, Geography in the News, My place. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 23, 2007 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

the thing is that immogrants all seem to batch in one area, and then ry to change our contry, eg. a town on the news with things repeated in polish.

2. Posted August 23, 2007 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

When migrants come to a country, they tend to locate in areas with their own nationality, therefore they have strong cultural ties, which makes the transition of living and working in a new country easier…

Imagine if you went to live in a new country, with a different language, which you couldn’t speak, wouldn’t you seek out your own nationals? There are some areas of Spain and France, which are ‘Little Englands’. I’m sure the natives of these countries are having the same conversation.

With regards to migrants wanting to change our country, I don’t think this is necessarily true, migrants bring different cultural experiences, which may in time be adopted by the host country, think Asian migrants and the U.K’s love of curry… or their cultural practices may be maintained only within their group. It is possible to have a multi-identity.

With regards to the changing of signs for Polish migrants, I don’t have a problem with this, some these migrants are doing jobs with are manual and low paid, which British people have rejected, others are highly skilled in trades and are filling jobs in which British people lack skills, therefore they are contributing to the economy.

3. Posted August 23, 2007 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

umm, well you see some cultural groups, say a group coming from Jamica as a example and nothing else, who bond together and then become over confident with themselves, this is a form of self-defence taken too far ,i think but sometimes this can be dangerous, for example at my brothers ex place of work a group of immigrants started on all the natives and became bad towards them.

Posted August 24, 2007 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

A book worth reading is “Immigrants: your country needs them” by Philippe Legrain

5. Posted August 24, 2007 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks Alan, I’ll take a look at that one.

G, this is somewhat of a generalisation, and it would be wrong to comment on an individual case and make a judgement on one group of individuals. Why shouldn’t people be comfortable and confident in their approach to life? Perhaps the problem is that some people feel uncomfortable with difference. When you mix with a wider range of people from different social groups and cultures, you quickly realise that we all share the same bond, humanity.

Posted August 25, 2007 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Going to a party next week for a couple of friends who are leaving to go to Auckland, and another couple of friends have already gone to Wellington.
    On the other hand, my current school includes teachers originally from France, Spain, Turkey, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and er.. Wales. Plus I’m from Yorkshire, so I suppose I’m an immigrant too.

7. Posted August 25, 2007 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

I’m dreaming of Oz…

8. Posted August 26, 2007 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I hope to move somewhere nice when I’m trained as a doctor, but only after training because some countries require you to do 2 years service in a rural hospital in a bush somewhere. I’d like to go to Australia seen as they seem to have a shortage of Doctors all the time, South Africa might be an option too. I fancy New Zealand too Alan!
    I was speaking to a jeweler at the beach bar at our hotel who is from Hammersmith, London and is probably the richest person on the island. He moved with his wife after a great holiday, we were talking about live music as the hotel had 3 bands a night playing. He was recalling seeing the who and Phill Collins!
    Met a great couple from South Africa too, who were challenging me to do more sports than them!
    I really don’t mind who comes to our country because I love to talk to them and find out what they do and where they are from. Make some vital contacts maybe.
    I’ll probably leave UK later on, so why shouldn’t we let others do the same but in reverse?

9. Posted August 26, 2007 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Nice comment Stringy and welcome back. 🙂 Holiday sounds brilliant.