Low level disruption

I’ve been working on a document about strategies for dealing with low level disruption in the classroom.

The document looks at each section of a lesson and suggests strategies can could be used to tackle disruption.

The document is not based upon sanctions, but changes in practitioner behaviour.

This first draft can be found here. (80kb word doc).

I’d be interested in constructive criticism or suggestions for additional strategies.

This is a working document and hasn’t been carefully edited.

This entry was posted in classroom management. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 27, 2008 at 11:46 am | Permalink

A really useful document on the craft of the classroom (Michael Marland RIP) Thanks Tony. If you’d like me to help with proof-reading the next version let me know.

All the best

Noel

Posted October 27, 2008 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Noel, I remember reading Marland in one night after having a particularly difficult class, changed my perspective.

I’ve already picked up some useful additions/typos.

3. Posted October 27, 2008 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Nice document Tony – will be putting my staff onto it. I’m working on transforming the behaviour policy at my place at the moment and this will fit in nicely.

Hope you’re well

David

Posted October 27, 2008 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave,

This is version one. First I wanted some feedback online, then I will put it to colleagues and ask for revisions or suggestions, finally I’ll publish the finished article.

I’m wondering whether this needs diagrams or photos illustrating some of the approaches.

Thanks for your comments.

Tony

5. Lindy
    Posted October 27, 2008 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

That’s a first draft? Really?
    Seriously tho’, it brings together some really useful stuff.

Posted October 28, 2008 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Yeap, I will do another major revision at the weekend.

Thanks for the positive comment.

7. Simon Renshaw
    Posted October 30, 2008 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Tony,

Just got round to taking a look at this… its a cracking bit of work! We get a large number of PGCE students through our school so this would be really helpful for them. I know you mentioned the need for illustrations, and was reminded of this document from an NLP coach on body language…

Simon

Posted October 30, 2008 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Cheers Simon, I’m giving it a break before I do another revision, thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

9. Mark Cowan
    Posted November 8, 2008 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Very interesting and really useful! I enjoyed reading it and it also makes you reflect on the number of disruptions we have to deal with. Thanks!

10. Aidan Smith
    Posted November 9, 2008 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Tony, this is a wonderful distillation of all your experience and reading. I feel that I have seen elements of it in progress in college.
    As others have commented I can see your article being of great value to schools developing the practice on behaviour (creating a policy) and for students and NQT’s.
    For Kirk Hallam i feel a selection of video clips from a variety of classrooms would support your paper.
    These could show a number of techniques in operation and colleagues could see how successful the strategies were with the students they teach (or very similar classes.)
    Thanks, Aidan

11. sally
    Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:43 am | Permalink

tony
    a super document that states so much common sense- i only wish more people would use the strategies you suggest!

Posted November 22, 2008 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Cheers, Sally- I haven’t got around to the final copy yet- hope you’re well.