We’ve become all arty and poetic… about rivers…

Inspired by a Victoria Ellis Enya backed movie, we got in touch with our humanist side and produced poems about rivers.

Here are three student contributions.

Kari

Wade

Lucy

Myself and the students would really appreciate feedback.

This entry was posted in Rivers and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. David Rogers
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Wade – great mention of minerals and fossils, quite often left out even though it’s an important part of the work rivers do

Kari – lots to think about. Love the idea of ending with posing a question.

Lucy – well read and i Liked the rhymes and how you compared rivers to every day objects.

Overall, a great idea. I really enjoyed listening to these and loved the river backing track. Great use of geographical terms. Also, I could really imagine the river’s course and action.

After your inspiration, I may try this with my GCSE classes this year. Nice job!

Posted September 23, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for taking the time to comment 🙂

Posted September 23, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

Hi to Tony’s students

Kari: some nice language, and description of the river moving through the landscape

Wade: you capture the idea that the river keeps changing: sometimes… and sometimes…

Lucy: good rhymes and you read it very well with a nice change of pace and tone – you get the idea that the river is going on a journey from your poem

Thanks for letting other people listen to your work.

4. Liz Smith
    Posted September 23, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

These are great! I agree with the above comments. I think all 3 are very imaginative and include some nice poetry techniques. Well done Kari, Wade and Lucy! 🙂

5. Posted September 24, 2009 at 12:31 am | Permalink

I love this type of activity and think that the poems sound great and show a good knowledge of the topic. Hope that Kari, Wade, Lucy and the others enjoyed making them and thank them for sharing too 🙂

Posted September 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks for taking the time to comment- I’ll pass on your replies. 🙂

7. Posted September 26, 2009 at 10:20 am | Permalink

These are superb poems Kari, Wade and Lucy! I especially like the rhyming in Lucy’s. Very pleased to hear that my movie – Enya and all – is still being used!

8. Emma Thatcher
    Posted September 27, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

What an excellent idea with brilliant results! A godo way of promoting communication skills in geography. Well done.

Posted September 27, 2009 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks for taking the time to comment-